The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Nottingham-based Nova Education Trust comprises fifteen academies, spread across both primary and secondary phases, and seeks to renew and refresh its board arrangements with the recruitment of up to three new trustees/non-executive directors including the potential for one to become Chair in the next year. The board is keen to welcome applicants with extensive experience in the areas of finance, audit, risk, HR and/or legal as well as those others with demonstrable experience in an education leadership position. Board meetings are held in Nottingham when safe to do so, however a commitment to virtual/video meetings will remain beyond the pandemic.
The board seeks three business leaders with board level experience in
- HR/Organisation Development/Leading organisational transformation OR
- Education Leadership Primary/Secondary or SEND OR
- Audit/CFO/Finance OR
- Business Continuity OR
- Risk OR
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Developing a strategy plan to address equality, diversity and inclusion across the trust;
- Develop a strategic plan for the next five years to gauge the extent of the current period of consolidation and develop the plan for further growth;
- Ensure staff and students are supported in the period post-Covid;
- Refine operating models to maximise impact and balance efficiencies.
The trust is preparing for its next strategic development and may well seek to expand further. Trustees are mindful of the risks having taken several schools which may need substantial capital investment. However, the Board is keen not to ‘stand still’ and fully intends to balance the risks with opportunities to develop further.
Central to the trust’s mission is addressing equality, diversity and inclusion as it resolutely promotes a diverse and inclusive community – a place where every person can be themselves and succeed on merit. The trust believes it is critical that it also establishes a board that is just as committed to this agenda and reflects community diversity in its widest sense enabling more objective, unbiased and unprejudiced decision making.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month. Due to its complexity and scope, the Chair role will necessary require a higher time commitment of c.10-12 hours per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: https://academyambassadors.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/58000000t64T/a/4H000001Vofx/7ARDD0Z1LQUCMisKLW0WCRHVP5_AaT4827p7.Vq9e.w