Newbury Academy Trust seeks up to four new non-executive directors with a range of skills and experiences to join its board. The trust comprises two primary schools and one secondary school, all of which are based in Newbury. New experienced business leaders will complement the existing trustee board and provide support and challenge to the executive team. Board meetings are held at Trinity School RG14 2DU, when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The trust caters for 1,587 pupils, has around 250 staff and a budget for £10.2m. Its mission is to provide excellent education for all and dramatically improve the lives of children and young people by providing high-quality education and experiences.
Of the three schools within the trust, Trinity School (Secondary) is judged as Good by Ofsted, the two primary schools, Fir Tree School and Speenhamland School, were both judged as Requires Improvement in their most recent inspections.
The board seeks two business leaders with board-level experience in
- Legal/Compliance OR
- Communications/ Marketing OR
- Audit/Risk OR
- Education Leadership (Primary or Secondary)
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- By Summer 2023 all schools are to be validated Good with Outstanding leadership (self- evaluation and external judgements)
- The trust seeks to further improve the progress and attainment across its schools, in particular that of disadvantaged students, so that they are broadly in line with Fischer Family Trust estimates national benchmarks.
- The trust must ensure all children return to school safely and smoothly following lockdowns. As well as focusing on well-being, ensure there are plenty of opportunities to catch-up.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which involves attending six board meetings per year, amounting to 14 hours of work a month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: https://academyambassadors.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/58000000t64T/a/4H000001Votu/hIjKV5eAq9jvZgW9LV00Tl5BSb7SvNVP3n6Uxia8qqk
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.