The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at academy trusts throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Clevedon Learning Trust oversees a group of twelve primary and secondary Schools in Somerset and North Somerset. It will be opening a new Primary School in Yatton in September 2021. The board of directors and executive team have a strong educational vision and commitment to deliver the best possible outcomes for students to prepare them to make an impact in their own lives and the lives of others. Board meetings are a blend of virtual meetings or at one of the school venues. As a trust including some Church schools, an additional advantage would be if candidate qualified to be Foundation Directors, although this is not a firm requirement for candidacy.
The board seeks two business leaders with board level experience in
· Strategic financial and budgetary management or
· Strategic HR / Workforce Planning or
· Legal / Compliance or
· Board experience as a NED or Trustee or
· Change and growth management
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- CLT continues to evaluate how they can best serve the needs of their students, their staff team and the respective communities. They would anticipate that this could involve adding a small number of additional schools who have the same values and complementary capabilities.
2. The trust plans to focus on using the public funding in a responsible way to deliver their aspirations in the provision of education and learning experiences for all pupils. The trust is striving to embed excellent prudent financial management and consistency of financial reporting. The board wants to create a workplace environment which supports employees to learn and grow and is establishing a People Committee to develop a workforce strategy focused on areas including equality and diversity, leadership development opportunities for all, talent management and succession.
3. CLT aim to strengthen governance across the trust; increasing the degree of standardisation where relevant and ensuring full compliance with the regulatory framework, whilst encouraging the Local Governing Bodies in each school to grow and develop their own capacities to provide strong support and challenge to their schools.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
· Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
· Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
· Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: https://academyambassadors.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/58000000t64T/a/4H000001VoNv/bU6f_B9U5ED3LRlgZUpsHwgJqzoI4SzT44.o0De7E1E
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.