The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The Trust was incorporated in October 2012 with the University of Wolverhampton as its sponsor body. UWMAT has 10 primaries and two secondary schools across four local authorities: Staffordshire, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Birmingham.
The link with Wolverhampton University is central to the trust ethos. The faculties of the University offer expertise to the schools, including high calibre teaching staff. The University itself acts as an image of personal growth, learning and achievement for the community of which the pupils and their families are a part. The trust believes that it is contributing to the long-term health of the region and works closely with employers and business to meet the local economic needs.
The trust serves 4,792 pupils, has 676 members of staff and a budget of around £24m.
The board seeks three business leaders with board level experience in:
- human resources OR
- public relations/marketing OR
- estates/facilities management
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- To future proof the MAT post COVID by: making further progress with the implementation of the strategic plan; making sure staff and pupils feel safe and supported; reviewing governance structures so that they remain appropriate; continuing to ensure the best possible outcomes for pupils;
- To ensure communities are linked to the trust’s Academies and benefit from use of University facilities in ensuring lifelong learning opportunities through the development of a pathfinder Community University Campus providing education, training and development for the whole community underpinned with strong sustainable business and community links.
- To further grow the Trust strategically with additional schools over time.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which involves attending six board meetings per year, amounting to 14 hours of work a month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
- As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: https://academyambassadors.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/58000000t64T/a/4H000001VoVd/6p6yF_wmUMDjhcri_KT8DWCwvERMWlGEfnGmFceYyjI
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.